Excluded


The morning I wrote this it was 4:30. I had tossed and turned trying to get comfortable from two broken toes, knee issues, and rotator cuff pain.  I reminded myself what the orthopedic surgeon shared, "These body parts were not meant to last forever." Persistent pain has the ability to eventually wear you down and it can do a number on your mentally making you grumpy, depressed or dwelling on things that are not of eternal value.  The latter is where I went that particular morning.

Fifty years ago I graduated from high school a year early.  My grandfather had been murdered and my high school dean, who knew our family well, made the suggestion that I double up taking some senior required classes and graduate a year early. I had a 4.0 and he thought I could handle the load.  Five of us tied as valedictorians that year, so they allowed all of us to hold the title.

Here's the rabbit hole I went down in the middle of the night.  Twenty-five years ago and again this past month, two friends from high school contacted me trying to reach my brother in law, also from the class of 1974 to encourage him to come to the class reunion. What neither realized was that I have never been invited to this class reunion or the one of the students my age who graduated in 1975?

While I passed along the information to my brother in law, I really wanted to reply to the inquiries of these classmates..."It would be nice to invite me."  Over and over in my mind, in the darkness of the night, I played with the possible wording.  Here's the kicker. I have NO desire to go to a class reunion, but it's the being excluded that the enemy had playing over and over in my mind.

While the thought process was not of eternal value, it was for the making of a good devotional and the reminder of what we are to dwell upon. 

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Philippians 4:8

Our little mystery grandson, I referred to a few days ago, said to me, "One good thing about getting old is you know a lot more stuff."  Yes, sir, that is true and God is teaching us new stuff everyday, even when we are old.

'We live in this world, but we don't act like its people or fight our battles with the weapons of this world. Instead, we use God's power that can destroy fortresses. We destroy arguments and every bit of pride that keeps anyone from knowing God. We capture people's thoughts and make them obey Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:3-5

Hmm, so I should act like a child of God and dwell on the reunion to come with Christ, not with high school classmates.

The very morning, following the sleepless night I opened my email to find Promise #148 from 365 Promises   https://www.365promises.com

"I have prepared amazing things for those who love Me."

“Things which an eye didn’t see, and an ear didn’t hear, which didn’t enter into the heart of man, these God has prepared for those who love him.”  1 Corinthians 2:9

I love the Lord and how He speaks through his Word.

I've mentioned before that at 3:20PM each day my phone flashes a reminder to think about Ephesians 3:20-21

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen"

And oh what a glorious reunion with Christ it will be.

The Song

“The Jesus Way” Phil Wickham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fhv4arL3yk


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Fill Us Up