Two Voices

September 20-21
"How do you know God is talking to you?"  Have you been asked this?
Do you ever battle with two voices? Can you see the image, sometimes portrayed in TV or movies, where the devil is on one shoulder and the angel on another?

Traveling back from Nashville, I encountered two voices, and followed one which took me down the wrong path. Immediately, I thought of the discernment that is needed in life.

I am your servant; give me discernment that I may understand your statutes.
Psalm 119:125

Check out Paul's challenge here in Ephesians 1:15-19 from The Message translation.
That's why, when I heard of the solid trust you have in the Master Jesus and your outpouring of love to all the followers of Jesus, I couldn't stop thanking God for you-every time I prayed, I'd think of you and give thanks.  BUt I do more than thank.  I ask-ask the God of our Master, Jesus Christ, the God of glory-to make you intelligent and discerning in knowing him personally, your eyes focused and clear, so that you can see exactly what it is he is calling you to do, grasp the immensity of this glorious way of life he has for his followers, oh, the utter extravagance of his work in us who trust him-endless, boundless strength!

The route for home was on my car GPS.  Yes, after 17 years of traveling this path, I know the way, but I do like to see the miles and minutes of arrival tick down.  Needing a place to stop and walk, I used my phone GPS to enquire as to a safe place to stop and do this…you know, like Marshalls or TJMaxx.  :-)
I took the exit recommended by the phone, but then the car GPS told me to go in a direction, trying to get me back on the interstate. I obeyed, not making the distinction between the two and forgetting the car GPS was still on the job.  The phone GPS gal pops back on and I realized the conflict.

Godly discernment takes concentration and a knowledge of the directions in which God might lead us.
Biblical knowledge plays a key role, as God would never direct us onto a path which goes against his Word.

Praying daily for discernment is a good thing.  Too bad there isn't a capsule we can swallow that guarantees discernment!

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?