The Frightened Shepherds



"That night in the fields near Bethlehem some shepherds were guarding their sheep. All at once an angel came down to them from the Lord, and the brightness of the Lord's glory flashed around them.  The shepherds were frightened. But the angel said, "Don't be afraid!  I have good news for you, which will make everyone happy.  This very day in King David's hometown a Savior was born for you. He is Christ the Lord."  
Luke 2:8-11


Fear is a real deal!  I adore my primary physician, her nurse and her receptionists.  They truly are friends. I look forward to seeing them and have stopped by to drop things off on occasion just to cheer them. Put me in the office and I think I'm fine, but no matter how I approach the visit my blood pressure goes up. I can take it at home before I go and them 30 minutes later be there and whoosh, up it goes. Am I subconsciously afraid of what they will find?

God's Word tells us "Do not fear."  God created that emotion though and we are to fear the Lord.
Again and again in the Christmas story, the holy presence of the angels evoked fear, yet every time the immediate angelic response is "Do not be afraid."  (Mary, Joseph, Zechariah, the Shepherds.)

Confrontation with the unknown causes fear. While the shepherds had daily fears of wild animal attacks or of losing the sheep of their employer, they probably hadn't had many angel encounters. 
Would the simple phrase "fear not" calm you?

We just had a discussion with our grands about how abductors might try to tell you not to be afraid, that your parents were hurt and need you to come to them.  We have a family "code word" and told them if that person doesn't know the code word, don't go with them.  Kick and scream!  God should have given us a "code word" in our hearts for angel encounters!  Maybe he has the phrase "fear not".

Obviously, the shepherds fear turned to curiosity and they hurried off to Bethlehem. They decision to investigate this baby led them to the presence of Christ. The Holy Spirit was present and created within the shepherds' souls a faith that Jesus was the the Savior which had been proclaimed!

Sometimes fear pushes us to faith and fear turns into a peace that passes understanding.

"Fear not, for I am with you, do not be dismayed for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you; 
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
Isaiah 41:10

Jesus is our "code" word, our "go to" name, when fear enters our hearts.  He has given us the Holy Spirit to direct us through the written Word and find the strength and help to guide us in our times of need.

Night before last, I had two different nightmares and to the best of my recollection I did not stop and pray in those nightmares.  I did wake up in the middle of the night twice and pray for others while I was up though.  One was mother with a 12 hour old baby. I figured she was up. She texted back, that was the Holy Spirit waking you up to pray for us as we did not know how to calm our newborn baby.  God works all things, even nightmares for good!

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?