Who Is Great


"O Lord, what is man that you regard him, or the son of man that you think of him?
Man is like a breath; his days are like a passing shadow."
Psalm 144:3-4

My heart truly aches for this generation that feels challenged to be so in the spotlight. It is as if they have a daily pressure to perform and be heard.  Back when our first grandchildren were born the kids were great about mailing or email us photos. With them living so far away it was nice to get peeks of their progress. Then the social media tempo sped up.  The moms explained I needed to be on Facebook if I wanted to see photos...then the pace further increased and I was placed on Instagram and if I don't check in daily the glimpses are gone.

Oh, how I long for summer and some face to face time with them just sitting on the dock eating ice cream, floating along on the pontoon looking at the mountains or simply swaying together in a hammock and seeing what shapes we see in the clouds.  I pray we all will be able to unplug our devices, play some games and color and craft together.  (Ha! I know a couple of you who know me well are saying, "Right? The pace is a little faster than that over there.  Obstacles courses, camp schedules, daily crafts, treasure hunts..."  We do rest.

How blessed these grands are to be little folks and hopefully not under any pressure to be great and in the limelight (the focus of public attention).

"God is the Creator; you are the created. God is great; you are not...In our social-media-crazed culture, everyone can be a star.  It's so seemingly within reach that smallness feels unacceptable...It's impossible for someone to continually behold and be dazzled by personal power and greatness while attributing all greatness and glory to God.  The two can't coexist in the same heart. We either become molded by our sense of self-promotion or shaped by our understanding of God's preeminence." Ruth Chou Simons

Lord help us be content to be God's children who point to His glory. It's a heavy load to feel like we must create personal greatness. May all we do keep the spotlight off us and on Jesus. In Jesus' name. Amen


Under conviction. I'm sure some reading this would say, "How hypocritical!" you've posted a devotional on email or a social media site everyday for 20 years.  And believe me there have been numerous times I've asked God to relief me of this commitment.  When it first began as an email update on my mother's condition, while dying after cancer surgery, people could hit "reply".  When they asked me to keep sending devotionals it was quite the chore. It grew to 1,000 emails going out a day and 4-6 hours of replies and prayers back to people.  When our son suggested this format "without comments" it made sense. It keeps me off Facebook and from listening to the news and in God's Word.  But I'm reassessing, should it be on a blog?


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?