Aging With Grace-1

 

Three of our five granddaughters going in for a snug here at Shiloh.

You have to be sort of old to have grandchildren. The older the grands get, the older you do as well!  For the past several months God continues to work on me in regards to what is valuable to Him.  Certainly every person he has created old or young is of great value, but our society does not value, nor honor the elderly. 

I've had the blessing of two afternoons alone at Shiloh and have enjoyed a mini retreat with Jesus, while reading an excellent book called Aging with Grace, by Sharon W. Betters (age 73)  and Susan Hunt (age 81). I hope to be able to share more this week.

In the foreword Sharon, a pastor's wife, shares a story of one of the first churches where they served. She was only 21 at time time. She tells of "five elderly women" who loved and encouraged her. She says, "They were life-givers."  Then she tells of "a couple other elderly women who scared me with their sharp tongues and criticism of my husband's preaching and leadership. They were life-takers...That's when I started my quest to understand God's view of aging and how I could intentionally prepare to be the sweet, life-giving old lady who encouraged young women just starting out in life."

I bet you have seen these contrasts in personalities in your own walks of life.

Mrs. Betters continues, "American culture idolizes youth and measures value by what a person produces for society. When older people stop contributing financially through working, show signs of wear and tear, and slow down mentally and physically, culture considers us worthless. Some see the elderly as a drain on society."  

Y'all, you know it's true and a real shame. The world shouts "stay young"..."look young"!

The book shares stories from women with some age on them!  An 88 year old woman named Ruth states, "Early mornings on my porch I pray, Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love that we may rejoice and be glad all our days. Psalm 90:14  Draw near to God  and he will draw near to you. James 4:8.    

Gladness comes with His presence. As you grow older, expectations change. You come to realize there is no perfect family, church, situation or society. Because we live in a broken world, we begin to marvel that things go as well as they do because God gives grace upon grace. We look for his intervening hand of love as we work through difficulties. Struggling and rejoicing can come at the same time as we let the struggles bring us closer to God's warm embrace."

Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23:6

AMEN!  I'll take a scoop of aged wisdom any day!  More to come from this book...

Here is a funny aside that just happened.  As my husband was walking out the door he asked what I was doing today. I said "I hoped to get a swim." He inquired, "By yourself?"  My reply,  "If I drown, I drown. You'll get to do bedtime with the grands all by yourself. Rejoice."

One of the perks of aging is for someone who knows Jesus is that death has no hold on you!

The Song :Grandma's Hands" Bill Withers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv5pagal-ls



Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?