Locally Grown

 

Living in a resort community that is highly marketed as a great place to retire has changed the make up of Smith Mt Lake.  Spending summers here as a child we were mostly locals or people who lived within an hour away and came to camp overnight, maybe spend a week's summer vacation in a trailer or some were fortunate enough to have a little cabin over a boat house and stay the summer.

You bought your fruits and vegetables at stands along the road and put your money in a mason jar.  There was a little country store for necessities and the morning paper and most of the camp grounds had gas, milk, bread, juice, popcorn and ice cream!  (Probably beer too.)

It was the best way to spend a southern summer.

Recently we were invited by a member of a sister church to a BBQ in Union Hall, where I'd spent my summers.  I didn't know one person who would be there, but was hoping to find someone from "the olden days".  Not so at all.

The first four people I met were from Massachusetts, Maine, Ohio, and Indiana.  Many had moved here when "the germ" hit our country and all love the simpler life.  One man said something that took me back a bit.  He said, "I've never met someone who stayed put all their lives."  I pondered it and questioned whether it was coming from a complimentary place. The intonation didn't lead me to believe it was. He'd already made fun of the way people talk "down here". Trying to think before I spoke, I responded with, "Why would I leave the most wonderful place I've ever been?" Another woman said, "I'm certainly thankful I've found my way here." 

It's okay to be locally grown. When we reach heaven we will feel so at home.


But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.  Philippians 3:20-21


The Song

One Day (When we all get to Heaven)  Matt Redman


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXOstbNiAwk


The first half is this beautiful song from a wonderful old hymn. The second half is the story behind the song.

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?