Suffering

 

It was a Friday afternoon and I was supposed to be at a healing prayer conference, but I was physically not able!  Hmm, something seems a little off with that.  Instead, I sat at home alone in a recliner growing in the Lord and having to use a walker to maneuver.

The day started with an email from Proverbs 31 Ministries called "Inviting God into Your Pain." Rather appropriate!  Ya think God knows every detail of our lives?  I know He does!

The key verse for the devotional was James 4:8a  Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.

Lysa Terkeurst writes: " God has been tenderly reminding me that pain itself is not the enemy. Pain is the indicator that brokenness exists. Pain is the reminder that the real enemy is trying to take us out and bring us down by keeping us stuck in broken places. If we can grasp God's perspective, pain can be the gift that motivates us to fight with tenacity and fierce determination, knowing there's healing on the other side. And in the in between? In that desperate place where we aren't quite on the other side of it all and our heart still feels quite raw!  Even still, pain is an invitation for God to move in and replace our faltering strength with His power....We must invite God into our pain to help us survive the desperate in-between."

Terkeurst goes on to say instead of trying to numb the pain embrace that pain reminds of we need transformation.  "There's a weakness where new strength needs to enter. And we must choose to pursue long-term strength rather than temporary relief." 

We need closeness with God and a reminder that when we are weak He is strong.

The past couple months of physical pain I ran to my chiropractor, massage therapist, PCP, reflexologist and orthopedic for answers.  Now in the moments of acute pain I certainly called out to Jesus, but it took stopping me in my tracks for me to linger with the Lord and listen attentively.

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

Psalm 91:1

More coming in an entry called "Set Free"

The Song

 "Who I Am" by Ben Fuller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXFklH5A4jA


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?