To Be...Content... Whatever the Weather

This is artwork from our youngest son...23 years ago!
I still pull it out every winter!


February 22
Where did our snow go?  We were in Florida and missed the little one in January.  Feeling a little cheated, yet I must confess I'm enjoying these 80 degree temps in February.  A girlfriend said the other day, "Winter is not over!"
There's an anonymously written poem called "Whatever the Weather."

"Whether the weather be fine or whether the weather be not,
  Whether the weather be cold or whether the weather be hot.
  We'll weather the weather, whatever the weather, whether we like it or not." 

Monday we received a call from a neighbor friend from our past who had moved to the Fort Lauderdale area. Heart broken he told us his wife had been battling colon and pancreatic cancer, which took her life way too soon.  He said, "Boo, Pam asked me to call you with this news.  She has died. She was an amazing Christian to the end. You would have loved how she encouraged the young doctors at Duke who would come in the room with their heads down bearing such bad news.  She'd say, 'Don't be sad for me, I'm heading to a much better place!  I knew I'd get there one day, I just didn't know when."  

Deke and I sat in silence after hanging up the phone.  There was a tinge of discontentment as we both wished we'd made the time to visit after they moved to Florida. Fortunately, we can be content for we shall see her again, as we share a deep forever love for one another through our bond in Christ.

Paul paints us a beautiful picture of contentment in Philippians chapter four.  Most likely he is writing while being under house arrest. He's explaining to his friends that he has experience life's ups and downs and found the constant to be Christ.  

"I'm glad in God, far happier than you would ever guess-happy that you're again showing such strong concern for me.  Not that you ever quit praying and thinking about me.  You just had no chance to show it.  Actually, I don't have a sense of needing anything personally.  I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances.  I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as will little.  I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.  I don't mean that your help didn't mean a lot to me-it did. It was a beautiful thing that you came alongside me in my troubles."

💗Biblegateway's love verse for today.
"Do not those who plot evil go astray?  But those who plan what is good find love and faithfulness."
Proverbs 14:22



Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?