Emmanuel #5

Our son's family's backyard in Minnesota.

Emmanuel #5 From Stresssed to Grateful

It is the Lord who goes before you, He will not leave you or forsake you, do not fear or be dismayed.  Deuteronomy 31:8

This time of year takes me back to the saga of finding Cabbage Patch Dolls for three of our children. That was so NOT of eternal value. They ended up not even liking those dolls. 

Likewise my expectations for the Creation Museum and Ark trip we just took were the squashed as some of the grands favorite activities were the donut shop we found near our hotel, the indoor pool, the zip line and the phenomenal playground at the Ark. 

Each of the three days I prayed, "Lord thrill their hearts with something new they are going to learn about You today. Use these experiences to equip them to tell of Your wonders to someone else."  Those prayers may still be answered as more truths about God than I'm probably aware of were implanted in their minds and hearts.

So, I will not stress.

Ruth writes on page 53 of Emmanuel, "...the presence of stress in our lives has more to do with our hearts than our circumstances (even if a change in circumstances will help reframe our hearts!). According to the Bible, our stress and anxiety are the results of trying to fix our problems on our own when, instead, we are called to pray with a grateful heart."

She states that Paul led us on a path to peace by suggesting we Rejoice in what is true about God letting prayer replace anxiety as we ask with a posture of gratitude.

"Focus on self complicates and adds stress, but a focus on God's faithfulness simplifies and frees our hearts to rejoice." Amen!  I need this.  There are so many spiritual things I want for MY children,  MY grandchildren, MY church members, the those I love who are lost.  I need to change MY focus and not stress, but rejoice in all God is doing!  

I did find myself choosing to shift from what I wanted for our grands each day to praising God for the amazing ministry we were experiencing and the lives that were being changed, because of the perseverance of the people involved with these ministries to trust and go with God.

The Song

Somewhere in Your Silent Night  Casting Crowns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT-5cP4BeoI


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?