Sweet Remembrances

 

My hairdresser of 41 years made these cute ornaments to give to his customers this Christmas.

Riding into the city, Roanoke, with my husband to make his hospital rounds an overwhelming sadness came over me as the mountain side hospital came into view. The sights and smells of the hospital room where my mother died were quite vivid.  As an ugh, came out of my mouth I looked at my husband and said, "Why is it I remember so many details of that day, yet I gave birth to 5 of our 6 children in that hospital and can't even remember walking into the hospital to go to labor and delivery?  What determines what our minds remember?"

When I got home I Googled that questions and got a wide array of responses, which reminds me know one really knows this answer.

"Our brains prioritize rewarding memories over others, and reinforce them by replaying them when we are at rest, according to new research published Feb. 11 in the journal Neuron."


"Researchers find evidence that neural systems actively remove memories, which suggests that forgetting may be the default mode of the brain. Our memories do not just fade away on their own. Our brains are constantly editing our recollections, from the very moment those memories first form."


"Emotions are one of the ways the brain prioritizes perception and action. Emotions are a way of assessing and categorizing situations according to their role in our instinctual survival program. A moment correlated with a strong emotional state will be retained for a long time, which is why, for example leading up to a car accident, people have the memory of time slowing down and noticing every detail. Time didn't actually slow down — it's just that a lot of detail got recorded and so the event is remembered this way."  Found in the article below.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-the-brain-decides-which-memories-to-store-2014-4

I tend to agree with the theory on emotions and being a lover of photography I think photographs play heavily into what we remember. My father had two albums, one was of his life events, the other strictly of his dating and marriage life with my mother. He looked through those albums everyday and kept his favorite memories close.

God sent us the Bible as a memory enhancer of what He wants us to remember about him!  We should read it everyday, so we never forget. The Lord's supper is a reminder of what Christ did for us.  God had his people establish celebrations and feasts as times of remembrance.  While the enemy has used very successful tactics to change the focus of what Christmas and Easter represent, in our individual homes and churches we can keep the memories going of who God is and what he has done from "The Beginning".

And when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” 1 Corinthians 11:24

The Song  (Don't Miss this one!)

"Christmas Hymns" by Anthem Lights 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90mcg1gBN7E

If you need to go way back into your memories try...


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?