The Knock



April 2017 there was a knock on our door and there stood a very downtrodden friend.  Years ago my husband and I read a book called Hedges about protecting your marriage. One commitment it asked you to make was to never place yourself alone with someone from the opposite sex. Not in a car, an elevator, a house. That may sound drastic, but it is excellent advice, so I was at a loss as to what to do. I invited our friend in and explained I needed to call my husband and ask for permission to counsel our friend, a male.  My husband said, "Absolutely."

Early on in what grew to be the closest of friendships, this friend had been very candid about a difference he viewed in our lives. Having a giant cross handing on our house, 60 scripture signs strewn through out proper & looking at life seeking what God was up to at each moment it was obviously to him we were pretty passionate about Jesus. He on the other hand wasn’t sure what he though about God.

KNOCK is the word God has had me focused on since this friend went to be with Jesus. 
I was studying in Revelation 3 where John is addressing the church of Laodicea. Laodicia means a person having a lukewarm attitude towards religious matters. Which is at state we all know people who uphold.

The chapter finds John relaying this tough message from God to the church
“I know everything you have done, and you are not cold or hot. I wish you were either one or the other. But since you are lukewarm and neither cold nor hot, I will spit you out of my mouth. You claim to be rich and successful and to have everything you need. But you don’t know how bad off you are. You are pitiful, poor, blind, and naked… I correct and punish everyone I love. So make up your minds to turn away from your sins.” Verses 15-17, 19

That day I listened as our friend unloaded his feelings of desperation and regrets.  
“Tell me what to do,” he pleaded.  With sincerity in my heart I told him, “I can’t say anything that will help you, but Jesus loves you and can guide you out of this pit.”

“Then show my how to pray to receive Jesus,” were his next words.
I about fell off the couch. I wasn’t expecting that response.  God’s word tell us:

Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.”1 Peter 3:15 

I moved over to where he sat and took his hands. If you are you sure about this then simply repeat this prayer after me and Jesus will come to you. He prayed, ”Lord, I know that I am a sinner and that the only way for forgiveness of my sins is to accept the free gift You offer me through Christ's death burial and resurrection.  Oh, Jesus come into my heart and be with me forever. I love you Lord and want to serve you. In Your name, Amen"

The transformation was incredible. His hunger for God’s Word insatiable. The kind of peace that passes our understanding was so evident in his life and he unashamedly shared that with others and remained steadfast in his trust in Jesus until the last breath we saw him take.

That friend knocked on our door that day and responded to Jesus, who was knocking on his heart.  His searching  and surrendering led him to a life altering relationship with Christ and left behind an amazing testimony of a truly transformed life. 

If you know someone who needs Jesus in their life ask them to follow Jesus' instructions in
Matthew  7:7
"Ask, and you will receive.   
Search, and you will find.  
Knock, and the door will be opened for you.”

Think of each of your friends, who you know loves the Lord and say as Paul does in 1 Corinthians 1:4-5 CEV

"I never stop thanking my God for being kind enough to give you Christ Jesus, who helps you speak and understand so well."



Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?