Labels

 

My husband and I were out on an early morning walk and saw two men in the distance approaching.  I overheard one of them say our names to the other.  When they came upon us, one man full of vigor said, "So I have a religious question for you!"  I took him as off guard as he had taken us by immediately chuckling and saying, "Religious?" I really don't care for that term. I wanted to say, "Now we are happy to talk about Jesus." But he was already bombarding my husband with a current situation related to a politician and the Catholic church.  Bringing quick closure to the discussion, we continued to walk on.  

I said, "Ooooh, we have a neighborhood rep."  My husband replied, "Yes, we are definitely labeled."

This brought a smile as the night before I had dug out a couple of our son's old "label makers" to attempt to label some shelves at church.  We have no idea how to operate these machines as we are from the day of the plastic label maker with a dial on the top and a trigger you squeeze!

Recently, I read a very entertaining article on religious labeling by the author of The Handbook of Denominations in the United States

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/rogereolson/2018/01/need-religious-labels/

For me personally, I like to keep my faith beliefs simple. 

I believe all of God's Word and promises. I am thankful to be his child and creation.I have a deep and personal relationship with Jesus and have an unfathomable appreciation for him dying for my sins.  I think the power and guidance of the Holy Spirit, while at times hard to comprehend, is an exquisite gift that none of us appreciates or taps into to its full potential and prayer is flat out amazing and powerful!

Because of all I believe to be true and how I've seen my life enriched from this walking with the Lord, others should be offended if I don't share these thoughts with them.  It would be like not wanting someone to join your club.

My husband has labeled me a member of the NFL.  Nuts for the Lord.

Look with wonder at the depth of the Father’s marvelous love that he has lavished on us! He has called us and made us his very own beloved children. The reason the world doesn’t recognize who we are is that they didn’t recognize him. Beloved, we are God’s children right now; however, it is not yet apparent what we will become. But we do know that when it is finally made visible, we will be just like him, for we will see him as he truly is. 1 John 3:1-2 TPT

The Song

"This I Believe" (the Creed) by Hillsong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtUNQpu2b7Q




Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?