What's Behind Our Longings

 

                                        Snowflake sugar cookies do not guarantee a snowfall.

I'm not sure what my deal is with longing so desperately for A snowfall. It's most likely based on being married to a man who was in school administration for 33 years and a snow day meant an unexpected vacation day! Being the parents of six children it brought a lot of excitement to the household as well. It's just plain magical to see God cover the earth outside your window.

There are just as many people praying for NO SNOW.  I was wearing my snowflake sweater to our Snow Carnival and ran into a sweet friend who is a physician. She explained a big snowfall totally messes up their office schedule, which is already overwhelmed, by having to reschedule appointments. She looked at me and said, "Don't you be praying up a blizzard for around here!"

Conviction set in as I read parts of Psalm 84 

How lovely is your dwelling place, Lord of hosts!
My soul longs, yes, faints for the courts of the Lord;
my heart and flesh sing for joy to the living God.

Even the sparrow finds a home, and the swallow a nest for herself,
 where she may lay her young, at your altars, O Lord of hosts, 

my King and my God.
Blessed are those who dwell in your house, ever singing your praise! ...

For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere.

Lord of hosts, blessed is the one who trusts in you!

Here I am longing for snow. It's a self centered want instead of a seeking to be in the Presence of God.  The Psalmist is envious of the birds who nest in the Temple and are continually in God's presence.

In a women's Bible study last week one of the women said, "I wish we could just stay here around God's Word." Stepping out into real life is a challenge, but we can step out still in the Presence of God.  We all need to gather together with other believers and worship the Lord seeking God's face. It's for our good!

The Psalmist goes on to say "Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere."  He has his priorities straight realizing his relationship with God is the most vital part of life!  Yup. Blessed is the one who puts their trust in the Lord!

The Song

This song brought me into God's Presence enjoying an unexpected praise party!

"The Praise is Yours" Matt Redman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf8Qjev0hjg


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?