Sit A Spell

A couple girls from church kicking back.

"C'mon in. Take your shoes off. Sit a spell. Y'all come back now."

I grew up watching the Beverly Hillbillies and totally relate to this kind of hospitality. I've broken my little toes at least six times due to being barefoot (always taking my shoes off) and catching them on furniture legs. Ouch. 

On Labor Day, a group of 20 lovers of Jesus gathered on the Shiloh patio and enjoyed a beautiful breezy day while we sang praises to the Lord and entered into a time of listening prayer.  We "sat a spell" for two hours and no one seemed to want to go.  Several stayed for extended prayer.

When I feel myself moving into hurry, scurry, Martha Mode I picture Mary choosing what is best and sitting at Jesus' feet.

And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to his teaching.  Luke 10:39 

This very morning, I probably should be scurrying just a tidge as the day's list is long, but right now, I choose Jesus.

Kick your shoes off. Find a quiet spot and nibble on these verses which reminder us Jesus and King David knew the benefits of being still and long for the presence of God.

In these days he (Jesus) went out to the mountain to pray, and all night he continued in prayer to God.  Luke 6:12 

Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, 

I will be exalted in the earth!  Psalm 46:10 


You are my God, I worship you. In my heart, I long for you, as I would long for a stream in a scorching desert.   Psalm 63:1


I can lie down and sleep soundly because of you, Lord, will keep me safe.  Psalm 4:8


The Song

"Still Waters" (Psalm 23) Leanna Crawford



Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Fill Us Up

Toe Sucking