Sitting in the Psalms

A sea of yellow at the top of our driveway.

Sitting in the Psalms is a glimpse of real life. The ups, the downs, the all arounds are possible to manuever because God is with us.  As I've been studying "Crying Out to God," I've come to realize I, like David, do that a lot.  When discussing "crying out" with friends the other day, one woman shared how in the weeks before her mother's death she would hear her mother saying in a quiet voice as breathing became more and more difficult, "Help me Jesus."

As I walked towards the awaiting arms of a neighbor sobbing standing at her front door waiting for my husband and I to get to her house, I cried out, "Help me Jesus. This is so hard."  This woman's 19 year old grandson had been shot 10 times and died in his driveway in his mother's arms.  My head is shaking in disbelief at that level of devastation even now as I type.

David's words echo the reality of crying out to God.

I cried out to God for help; I cried out to God to hear me. When I was in distress, I sought the Lord. Psalm 77:1-2

Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. 

For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. Psalm 61:1-3  


How long, O Lord?  Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me?  How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me?  Psalm 13:1-2 


Then the same man writes...

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.  Psalm 62:1-2


I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble. Psalm 59:16


The Song

“I will Fear No More” The Afters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMmmbJlWhtk

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Toe Sucking

Remember Your Story