Jesus Saves

October 15
Growing up in Roanoke, VA, there was a church with a neon sign that said, "Jesus Saves".  I don't think I thought much about it, except that I found it strange for a church to have a neon sign.  These last three weeks, the phrase "Jesus Saves" has come to my mind in many forms.

I've screamed out several times in near misses on the highway, "Save us Jesus!"   I've cried out over a toilet bowl battling food poisoning, "Jesus save me!" I've cried out for others, "Jesus save them from this pain." Yet, every time I see the cross, the gut wrenching reality of Christ's sacrificial death to save us from our sin leaves me humbled and grateful. 

I'm not sure if the Jesus Saves sign in still in my hometown, but I know there is a large wooden cross in our woods here at Shiloh, which is a reminder of Christ's saving grace.
While he was trying to figure a way out, he had a dream.  God's angel spoke in the dream: "Joseph, son of David, don't hesitate to get married. Mary's pregnancy is Spirit-conceived.  God's Holy Spirit has made he pregnant. She will bring a son to birth, and when she does, you, Joseph, will name him Jesus-'God saves'-because he will save his people from their sins.  Matthew 1:20-22

Today, no matter what comes your way, remember...Jesus Saves.

Yesterday, fortunately while wearing my rain boots, I had the privilege of saving an artificial pumpkin from floating away in our creek.  Our one year old grandson, dropped it off the bridge and was heart broken with the possible consequence of losing his pumpkin!  Think how Jesus' heart breaks over those who have not called out for salvation.




Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?