Woman!

My sister and daughter here on a recent visit. Amazing women!

Sunday night I was nestled on the couch with one of our sons and my husband to watch the Steelers game.  My stomach was in knots as this was our QB's first game after the concussion he received three weeks ago.  The first pass he threw was an interception. UGH.  The majority of the first half was disappointing for him.  I simply muttered out loud, "Lord, this is not good."  God replied,
"Where is your faith, woman?" Woman? He's never called me woman. What was that all about?

The second half was much better and the Steelers scored 27 straight points to win the game.

But the woman comment stayed with me.  I remembered a couple times Jesus addressed his mother Mary, as "woman."  So a went searching for the reason.

Here's an audio response.
https://www.amazingfacts.org/media-library/media/e/1172/f/6/t/why-did-jesus-call-mary--woman--instead-of-mother-

Everything I read explained that in the Greek language woman, used as Jesus did, was not a term of disrespect, as it might be used in the English language in America today.  God did get my attention by using it though.

More insight on gotquestions.org
https://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-Mary-woman.html

"When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, 'Woman, behold, your son!'"  John 19:26

"And Jesus said to her, 'Woman, what does this have to do with me? My hour has not yet come.'"
John 2:4

Back to God's purpose in addressing me as he did.  I was growing anxious, which is a sin.  Not over a win or not, but over our QB's safety.  Here's a reminder verse I needed.

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."  Isaiah 41:10

Thanks for digging deeper with me today. I love learning more and more about Jesus and about how personally and deeply God loves and cares for each of us.


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?