Stay the Course



Snowman pancakes for the overnight at Shiloh win!
 

Cleaning off my bedside table there sat a stack of old sermon notes.  On one page I looked at Psalm 90:12

So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom. 


Beside that I had jotted down a John Piper quote our pastor had shared.

"My goal is not to stay alive, my goal is to stay the course."


My mind drifted to 39 years ago when we had traveled to Disney World and had the children in the little race cars that were on a metal track.  You couldn't get off course.

If your child couldn't steer is was a jerky ride around the track, but you reached your final destination.


Do you ever grow weary jerkling along the way of life?

In my Bible reading plan we have been in 1 and 2 Thessalonians and now Timothy.

Paul had to have grown weary along the way and there were times he wondered if he would ever see the brothers and sisters in the faith again as he'd depart a city, sometimes having to sneak out at night.  He continually faced persecution and obstacles, yet he chose to stay the course and encourage the new believers.


Your faith is growing more and more, and the love every one of you has for each other is increasing. Therefore, among God’s churches we boast about your perseverance… 2 Thessalonians 1:3, 4 


Being in ministry it's easy to grow tired and think "It's time for someone else to do this."  Hmm, I've been saying that a lot lately.


I read this quote by Colin Smith, "Perseverence is the fruit of growing in faith and increasing in love.  Deepeing your faith and renewing your love will enable you to stay the course even when you are tired of the battle.


Renewing your love for others is like the call on our lives to pray blessings over those who persectute us. It's a purposeful process we must plan to do again and again. What is love? Love is patient and it perseveres. 1 Corinthians 13:4.7   

So, when we want to quit, we can pray for the Spirit to stir our hearts towards a renewed, refreshed love for others.


No more singing "me, me, me" give me a break. Sing, "You, You, You" fill me up Lord to love like you do and stay the course when I grow tired and weary.


The Song

"Lost in Your Love" Brandon Lake and Sarah Reeves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8gg3qI_46k




Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?