Snakes and woodpeckers

September 8
He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might
He increases strength. Isaiah 40:29


Boo thought: Yesterday was quite the day. Moments before heading off to church, Moses and I heard a loud thud against the dining room window. He barked frantically. Looking down into the driveway below the dining room window, sat a very, large, redheaded, woodpecker with an enormously long beak.

Now remember, I am not a bird fan and this critter or one of his relatives has been pecking away at our trees all summer. My husband emerged from the shower, ready to head out to church when I asked him to come to the dining room. From his assessment the bird looked to be in shock or paralyzed. Approaching the scene, with a broom in hand, he was amazed at the size of that beak and recognized the possibility of the damage it could do to him should this bird be able to fly. The wise choice was to add a trashcan to his paraphernalia. Placing the trashcan over the bird, it began to cry the most pathetic sound.
My dislike for this creature turned to empathy and a desire to take it to a wildlife refuge when we returned from church. Frustrated and ready to proceed to church, my husband agreed to put the bird in a dog crate, so that no other creatures would get it while we were gone. Some how in the process when my husband walked away for a moment, the bird escaped!

My thoughts turned to several situations where I have been disgusted with the behavior of human beings (who have caused damage, like this woodpecker). I realized should harm befall them and they cry out, I would likewise have compassion on them!

WOW, that is the way Jesus sees us!

The day ended with me heading to the dock for a quiet time. With my Bible and journal in hand, I was reading about Christ's transfiguration in Luke 9. I reflected on my week and told the Lord I wished He would show up and speak to me. He did and had some specific instructions for me. My husband had joined me and we had a sweet time of prayer and praising the Lord. Walking from the dock into the yard, a yellow striped snake, slithered between my feet onto the dock where Deke and Moses were. I screamed, neither of them saw the snake. It went right between my husband's feet. He asked what was wrong and I said, "Snake!" Looking onto the shoreline, there it was. He thrust a large rock onto it, worried that Moses would go after it. He knew he needed to dispose of it so the dog would not eat it. Taking a pole he carried it up to the driveway where it began to wiggle and squirm, still alive.

Whew....we can be assured, when Jesus shows up, the devil is lurking near by in disgust!
Praise the Lord for his protection, any of the three of us could have been bitten tonight.

Let's Pray: Father, your Word is true and it is powerful. We need not be afraid, but trust in You and be willing to follow you even when snakes slither and slide or woodpeckers chip away with destructive motives. We will sing out with gladness in our hearts. In Jesus Name, Amen

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?