Getting Real


November 6-7
Sundays are normally my day of rest from writing, but to be perfectly honest I'd like to write to say I am permanently signing off. Instead of making an excuse and fa la la ing saying I'm just going to chill this week and enjoy the fall leaves, I am going to be real, because that is why most of you say you read this blog.
Working steadily along, I've been excited about Thanksgiving and most of the children being home. Having everyone together is so much fun and I love getting the house ready for the holidays. So therein lies the target zone the enemy likes to hit...the house and family hospitality.
What began as a simple shower remodel, expanded into two complete bathroom remodels when damage from a leaky toilet was found. A tile man told me to call the insurance company who would cover a great deal of the cost and that he could have this job complete by Nov. 11th.
Last week was a bummer as the tile man backed out on the job, the wrong tile arrived and the insurance company refused to cover a penny. Two bathrooms stripped bare and the living room is full of grout, tile, toilets, sinks and a tub...not to mention the dust coating the house and our teeth!

Crying out to the Lord, he quickly sent a new contractor and the plumber is set to arrive tomorrow. Settling in yesterday to watch some football with my husband and knit, it seemed possible we would meet our deadline and I could leave Sunday for a baby sitting gig in Nashville. Then Moses, our dog, began to bark frantically downstairs. Calm and collectedly, one of our sons walked into the room and said, "There appears to be a leak downstairs." Rushing down the steps into our bunk bed/craft/gift wrapping room water poured from the ceiling. My husband rushed to cut off the main water valve and my son and I began taking things (like wrapped Christmas presents and childhood pictures) out of the room. We covered the 4 beds with plastic and stood dumbfounded as to what was wrong. I headed for the phone to contact our plumber who was 3 hours away on a mountain hunting, yet answered my call. Whispering, he compassionately said, "I won't be down your way before midnight." Of course this would occur on a Saturday afternoon.
Four hours into this endeavor the ceiling had been ripped down, sinks, ice makers, a hot water heater, etc. had been checked out trying to unveil the culprit.
Jesus Calling read on November 4th..."The more demanding your day, the more help you can expect from Me. This is a training opportunity, since I designed you for deep dependence on your Shepherd-King. Challenging times wake you up and amplify your awareness of needing My help.

Whew, something woke me up last night and it was fear, overwhelmingness (not sure that is a word), and a lack of control in this situation. This morning I wept at the mess before us and I prayed for the many people who have endured fires, floods and hurricanes/tornadoes. Not wanting to participate in life today, I heeded my husband's urging to listen to today's sermon. It began this way...."There are valleys in our life and people can lose heart. Don't lose heart! It's impossible to avoid the valley, but you don't have to go through it alone."

There was a knock at the door around 7PM as the restoration company showed up last night. There standing in our doorway was a godly, godly man from our home church in Roanoke. I stood staring at him wondering why he was at our door. He likewise was rather surprised for he didn't know whose house he was coming to. He explained he was here to help with the clean-up. He said, "Let me in girl, I'm not the devil!"

God will get some glory through all of this. It certainly isn't what I planned to do this week, but may His will be done.
Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
Hebrews 13:20-21

PS. If I don't get back on tomorrow, maybe the Lord will let this count for Monday! :)

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?