Redeeming Love #6 Restored

We were once locked up, chained and far from freedom, but Jesus came as our chain breaker. He paid the penalty for our sins, set us free and restored us to fellowship with Him. (This is a staged photo from a time when one of our sons was in the police reserves in Minnesota.)

Mrs. Rivers starts this final section with the question "Is restoration a reboot? A chance to go back and begin afresh? To reinstate what was meant to be before Adam took the fruit from Eve's hand and chose to eat it and divorce God?  Being restored brought far-reaching changes in my life. Through Christ's work on the cross, I am restored to the relationship with God that He created me to have; I am now His child, His friend, one who enjoys a close, intimate relationship with Him.  I can freely talk with Him anywhere, anytime, and He hears and loves me."

Making Sense of the Past

"Have you ever had a moment where your past pain suddenly made sense?...Everything she (Angel the main character) had experienced, from the worst moments to the best, had prepared her for...this mission, God was redeeming everything that had been meant for evil and was using it for her good and His glory.  It seemed impossible-but nothing is impossible with God. (Romans 8:28)

I want us to go back to this in future devotionals and soak it in because God is the Master who turns our hurts to happiness.

You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good. He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people. Genesis 50:20

Freedom in Forgiveness
When I refused to confess my sin, my body wasted away, and I groaned all day long.
Psalm 32:3
"When we confess, we're acknowledging to ourselves and God what stands between us. We're admitting we need forgiveness. Only then can we receive it-and be restored...Are you in a hard relationship?  How might it be transformed and restored by the power of forgiveness?"

A Bridge to Christ
Sunday at church I was sharing a story with a young mother of six about how amazing our dentist was when our six children were young. His office was only a half mile from our house. His office allowed me to drop off all six children for their cleanings by the two hygienist. As each pair of children finished with the cleaning the receptionist would drive the children across the  highway and up the road to our house. Now that is service or wisdom to not have six kids in the waiting room. As I finished sharing this story I said, I need to see if he is still living and say "Thank you."

More importantly is to take time to thank the people who have invested in me and my family spiritually. You know, those people who have let their light shine and taken the time to share God's Word with us, invite us to church, prayed over us. The people who have been as Rivers says.  A bridge to Christ. The ones who can say like it says in 3 John 1:4  I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.  

God's Transforming Love
"Love transforms. Loving others changes us...Our love for others, as imperfect as it is, points to the only perfect love, offered by God to all, which is capable of restoring us and making us more like Him."

I delight in a good love story!  If it doesn't have a happy ending, I'm not watching or reading it.
Open your Bibles as we start off the "Love Month-February" and read: 1 John 4:7-12. I'm highlighting this passage and John 13:34-35 with a pink highlighter.  Than tell God you will tell of us love for others to someone each day this month.  A simple, "Jesus loves you" can start a life changing conversation.

A New Name
"Names have meaning."  You will see this depicted in the main character (no spoilers here) if you read the book or go to the movie.  Isaiah 62:2,4 says, You will be given a new name by the Lord's own mouth...for the Lord delights in you and will claim you as his bride.  

Francine Rivers concludes the devotional study with the challenge to memorize and recite Ephesians 3:18-20 often, and let its meaning permeate your life. I've typed out verses 16-21 and hope you do the same and pass this along to someone who needs to know God's redeeming love.

v16 I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit.  v17 Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him.  Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong. v18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. v19 May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will  be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. v20 Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. v21 Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus though all generations forever and ever! Amen

The Song 

"How Deep the Father's Love for Us by Selah

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vmY2ztb5xc

or go again to   "I Know My Redeemer Lives" Nicole C Mullen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QvX4CwSmwY

Thank you Francine Rivers for so beautifully putting these thoughts on God's redeeming love together in such a stirring and beautiful way. May your work continue to be an evangelical tool and help draw many to the love of Christ.

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?