Looking Back Part 1

Looking back on our daughter's family's spring break trip. 

For 46 years I've slept in a queen sized bed with my husband. The first two years we slept on a metal bed frame with a box spring and mattress.  When we moved to our second home, we purchased a 4 poster bed from a discount furniture warehouse and we are still sleeping in that bed. Don't say "Gross," we've had several new mattresses over the years.😉

Looking back, I began thinking about our parents who were all born between 1920 and 1925. Both of our fathers fought in WWII. I think my in-laws slept in the same double bed for over 70 years. Likewise, for the majority of my childhood my parents slept in a double bed, then after almost 30 years of marraige, in 1972, they purchased a king sized bed.   Not me. I like to be close to my man.  Ha!  Maybe that is why we have six children.  

I remember neighbors, who lived across the street from me as a child, slept in twin beds. Ah, the influence of television. They wanted to be like Lucy and Ricky and Laura and Rob.



As I was going down this rabbit hole of who slept in what kind of bed, I asked the Lord. "What's this all about?"  He simply said, "Looking back."  Well, that led me to Isaiah 43:18-19 and then on to a good lesson on remembering the importance of studying scripture in context.

“Forget the things that happened in the past. Do not keep on thinking about them. I am about to do something new. It is beginning to happen even now."

This passage doesn't mean forget history, but it is pointing to the coming of the Messiah who would redeem people and replace the judgement found under the Old Covenant.  This link will take you to an excellent aritcle on the subject.

https://www.gotquestions.org/remember-not-the-former-things.html

Isaiah 46:8-9, which says, “Remember this and be brave; take it to heart, you transgressors! Remember what happened long ago, for I am God, and there is none other.”


I'll save the flip side on "Looking back" for tomorrow.


The Song (I know we did this in March, but it's so good.)

“Holy Forever” Chris Tomlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlEEgMWwxhc





Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?