"Do Not Weep for Me"

My favorite Easter artwork, done by our grandson last year.

April 1
Don't you love learning something new when you are studying the Word of God?  A passage I read this week has jumped out at me in the familiar Easter story.

"Turning to them, Jesus said, 'Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep  for Me, 
but weep for yourselves and your children.'"
Luke 23:28

So Jesus, beaten up and dragging a cross to his impending death, takes time to notice some women in the crowd, who are crying.  It doesn't say that they are weeping because He is the Christ and has been falsely accused.  Quite the contrary.  Jesus tells them to weep for themselves and their children, which would say to me, being all knowing, He knows they didn't believe in him.

Maybe like many of us, they hated seeing anyone treated so cruelly. Salvation takes more than sympathy.  Salvation takes intentional repentance and recognition for the need of a Savior. Then we take up our cross and follow Him.

"Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me."
Matthew 10:38

"Then Jesus said to his disciples, 'Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny
themselves and take up their cross and follow me.
Matthew 16:24

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?