Coupled



February 3
I started writing a "lovely" devotional the other day on being coupled to Christ after reading...

"A happily married man and woman are connected by much more than law and morality. Their warm memories of shared experiences create ties that draw them close and keep them committed to each other.  Dear one, I want you to know that I am totally committed to you. I can fill your heart with loving memories as you walk in the Light of my Presence joyfully depending on Me." Jesus Calling

"Delighted, they dance all day long; they know
    who you are, what you do—they can’t keep it quiet!
Your vibrant beauty has gotten inside us—
    you’ve been so good to us! We’re walking on air!
All we are and have we owe to God,
    Holy God of Israel, our King!"

Psalm 89:15-16


But before I could complete my writing on this passage, real life happened. Read below this entry better titled Disciplined and Forgiven

We often laugh remembering a time when my husband was teasing one of our grandsons and he replied saying, "I'm going to discipline you, Pop!"  Obviously, words he had heard at home himself.
Well, God has disciplined me.
The other night, I was tired from days of worrying about our newest grandson. If you asked me, I would have said I'd placed the how situation in God's hands, but I was worrying. Yes, I know that's a sin.  So is what happened next.
Cooking up some wonderful spinach lasagna rolls, I'd made quite a kitchen mess. Pots, pans, blender,  blows and utensils of various kinds cluttered the island and sink.  Graciously, without being asked my husband washed these things.  He left them on the counter to be put away and that's when the monster popped out.
Ugh, so embarrassed to admit this.  Calling him back into kitchen, I pointed out he had helped, but only halfway. Ungrateful woman! What was I thinking?  I wrapped my arms around him, begging forgiveness, but the hurtful words could not be taken back.

"They sharpen their tongues like swords and aim cruel words like deadly arrows."
Psalm 64:3

Less than an hour later, awful, unceasing sciatic pain was running down the right side of my leg.  Awaiting me was a night of sleeplessness and a trip to the chiropractor. The physical pain was nothing compared to the emotional pain I had spewed upon my husband.

Awakening the next morning  I began to read the daily She Read Truth's post and read these convicting words...

"When I'm having a bad day, God forbid my husband sneeze too loudly, miss a button on his shirt, or accidentally leave the stove on. I'm quick to point out or dwell on his minor flaws while ignoring the far bigger issue: my critical spirit.
Self-righteousness blocks our ability to find joy in other's redemption.  When I'm being self-righteous, Im better at calling other people names than naming my own sin."

Just in case I didn't get it, God spelled it out for me!  A perfect example of the importance of staying plugged into God's Word. We are to thank God in all things, I thank him for his discipline and for my husband's forgiving spirit.

"You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgement on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgement do the same things."
Romans 2:1

Want to dig deeper. Check out Romans 2:1-4 in The Message.

"Those people are on a dark spiral downward.  But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself.  It takes on to know on. Judgmental criticism of others is a well-known way of escaping detection in your own crimes and misdemeanors. But God isn't so easily diverted. He sees right through all such smoke screens and hold you to what you've done.
You didn't think, did you, that just by pointing your finger at others you would distract God from seeing all your misdoings and from coming down on you hard?  Or did you think that because he's such a nice God, he'd let you off the hook?  Better think this one through from the beginning. God is kind, but he's not soft. In kindness he takes us firmly by the hand and leads us into a radical life-change."


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?