To Be...Offering Space

Tree trimming in progress in Charlottesville.

December 3

"...because there was no room for them in the inn."  Luke 2:7

The story of Christ's birth is amazing.  There are so many personalities involved for us to learn lessons from...wisemen, shepherds, jealous rulers, innkeepers, baffled expectant parents and in laws (whom we don't hear much about), and then this baby who is God in the flesh.

Today, I'm thinking about that innkeeper.  Hospitality is my God given gift and it truly is a joy, most of the time, so I really shouldn't judge. BUT... There just isn't a circumstance in which I'm able to imagine turning away a woman in labor. (Maybe having done that six times gives me greater sympathy.) I guess it was just all part of God's plan, so we could have manger scenes and remember Jesus' humble beginning.

On the flip side there's a story in Luke 10 where I'm not sure I'd measure up to what the Good Samaritan did.

"A Samaritan traveling the road came on him.  When he saw the man's condition, his heart went out to him.  He gave him first aid, disinfecting and bandaging his wounds.  Then he lifted him onto his donkey, led him to an inn, and made him comfortable. In the morning he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper, saying, 'Take good care of him. If it costs any more, put it on my bill-I'll pay you on my way back.'"

Maybe we all have blind spots?  We just don't want to see certain people who need us to offer the love of Jesus to them, because they make us uncomfortable.  The lady wincing in pain because she's about to give birth (Ha, or pass a kidney stone like me), the homeless person begging on the corner, the teen with piercings staring out at us, the arrogant wealthy person we think has it all together, the person visiting church who really doesn't smell good, the drunk at the bar with vulgar language...

To offer is defined as presenting something to be accepted or rejected.

God presented himself on earth in the body of Jesus.  We have a choice to accept or reject God's offer of salvation through Christ.

It's a gift from God to be offered the chance to hear about Jesus.


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?