Get it Sweetie

 

We need to be able to laugh at ourselves and that is just what I was doing during March Madness. My mama called everyone "Sweetie". My parents even named their little sailboat "The Sweetie".  As I was watching some of the basketball games, when the boys would go to the foul line, I heard myself say to the players, "Get it Sweetie". I've become my mother.

As I said that Sunday night, I thought about what I was saying "Get it."  Oh friends, aren't there people we love so deeply that we want them to get it spiritually?  

I Googled "What is the gist of the Gospel of Jesus"" You, know...what is it we want people to get?

First popped up, "The Gospel message is to believe in Christ, and to love others."


Next "When asked which commandment was the most important, Jesus said, “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself” (Matthew 22:37–39)."


Then an article from the GIST committee came up? (A Presbyterian group in Australia. GIST stands for "Gospel in Society Today.) It's actually a beautifully written six page article, but here is the gist!


"The Gospel, or Good News, is the message that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, has come to save people from their rebellion against God. Rebellion against God is an utter catastrophe so the Gospel needs to be heard and shared throughout the community and indeed throughout the world. There is no greater message to be heard than the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is the message of God acting to restore our relationship with him. This was not because he destroyed the relationship. Far from it, the problems are all on our side and he has acted through Jesus his son to bring reconciliation. The wonder of this goes further. Apart from the tragedy of us both ignoring him and defying him, our deepest problem is that God is perfect and just but we are neither. Even with our distorted sense of justice we can see that he is right when he tells us in the Bible that when judged by his perfect standards we are irretrievably guilty."


https://pcq.org.au/pcq_pdf_gist/gist-the-gospel-of-jesus-christ-08-15.pdf


The Song "How Sweet It Is" by Chris Tomlin  


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3ojIo6YsRM


The Lyrics are not on the video, so I've copied them here.


All the stories ever told All the songs the world could hold

Not a single one comes close To tell You what's inside my soul


How sweet it is, how sweet it is How sweet it is to be loved by Jesus

How sweet it is, how sweet it is How sweet it is to be loved by You


The measure of Your love so deep Could fill the tide of every sea

Nothing else in history Compares to what You've done for me


How sweet it is, how sweet it is How sweet it is to be loved by Jesus

How sweet it is, how sweet it is How sweet it is to be loved

By You (by You, Lord) By You, Lord (only You, Lord)


How sweet it is (oh) How sweet it is (I've tasted and seen)

I'm loved by You (the goodness of Your love, Lord) By You, Lord (the goodness of Your love)

How sweet it is (how sweet it is) How sweet it is


The sun will burn its final flame And every tear be wiped away

When I see You face to face Forevermore my heart will say


How sweet it is (how sweet it is) How sweet it is (how sweet it is)

How sweet it is to be loved by Jesus How sweet it is (how sweet it is)

How sweet it is (I'll never know a love like You) How sweet it is to be loved by You


How sweet it is, how sweet it is How sweet it is to be loved by Jesus

How sweet it is, how sweet it is How sweet it is to be loved by You

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?