Tis the Season


6 Years Later


In my quiet time Saturday morning,  I was still on a high from our grandson scoring a  “Pick 6” in his first varsity football game. The word the Lord had for me was competition.  Looking at several definitions I went with this one. 

Competition - "The act or process of trying to get or win something; something which not everyone can have.”
Hmm, not everyone gets Jesus do they?

I had awakened thinking...“Tis the Season to be Merry” 🏈.  To be honest a little stressed and anxious at some points, but I do love football season. This year it will consume my weekends in a personal way. Friday Night Lights in Norfolk with a 15 year old grandson, Saturdays watching the UNC TarHeels whom my husband played with for four years and Sundays with an NFL quarterback who has been in our lives his whole life.

I asked the Lord to search my heart related to this passion of wanting so much for these young men.  Team sports are a great platform for our faith to play out. I first thought of 1 Corinthians 9:24.  God calls us to run for the prize right?

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. 

Whether we are the player, the coach, the parent or the fan we are first Christians God has allowed us to be placed in the arena, but there are expectations for us there. 

Micah 6:8 MSG 

But he’s already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women. It’s quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, And don’t take yourself too seriously— take God seriously. 

"At their best, sports are an exercise in worship and witness. We have only to believe that Jesus is worthy in every loss and worth more than every victory (Philippians 3:8), and then train and play and watch and cheer like it." Tanner Swanson  

Wanting justification for all the years of participating in competition personally and as a parentally, I searched for some affirmation.  This article on football and sanctification was good.

https://www.davidprince.com/2018/08/27/football-and-sanctification/ 

Join me in praying as the world gets crazier and crazier that athletes will to be lights in the stadiums/arenas/courts to which we are called. 

Grand-motherhood can change the competitive edge in an individual. I do everything possible to not even win in Old Maids or Go Fish. Our six year old grandson recently told me "Mama Boo, you don't have to let me win anymore. It's okay."  Guess I wasn't hiding it well enough.

The Song  (This one will make this verse stick.)

"Micah 6:8" Maranatha Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Tb4-riE7o

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Fill Us Up

Toe Sucking