Laying Low

From Wikipedia-Good Samaritan Stained Glass Window

March 23
Walking up our driveway (1/2 mile through the woods) to place some letters in the mail, I was startled as I came upon a doe sleeping in tall grasses right by the drive. She jumped and fortunately ran deep into the woods instead of pouncing on me! Taking a few deep breaths my heart rate slowed back to normal, before I began the steepest part of the ascent. Reaching the top, and a straight away, I saw what appeared to be a dead possum in the road. Oh, yuck, I thought. Fortunately, it was to one side and I could try to discipline myself and not look at this deceased creature. Passing by, I sensed motion in its body as it slowly raised it head. Picking up my pace I scurried past hoping it was not a rabid critter about to bite me. Making it past several yards, I glanced back and realized the animal was a cat, which had not moved. Was it injured I wondered. What should I do? Placing my letters in the mailbox, I opted to walk down the road a bit and buy myself some time.
God brought to mind the man by the pool at Bethesda in John Chapter 5 who had no one to put him in the healing waters. He had laid there for 38 years! I knew at that point I would have to do something to help the cat, but also realized the Lord was working on my heart at a much deeper level. Would I be like the Good Samaritan if I passed by a person stranded on the road today? This weekend we are housing a large group of teenagers, who are attending a youth event here on the lake. I willingly opened my home...was it because a Christian asked me? Had it been an event put on my another religion would I have been as willing to offer hospitality? Ugh? Time for some soul searching around these parts!
Oh, the cat must have just been sunbathing in the warm road. By the time I returned, it was gone! Getting help for the cat would have been simple compared to the test God probably has ahead. :)

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?