Philippians Focus #1

October 3
God has something for us in Philippians.  I do not know what it is, but for days he has been trying to get me to study this book2, so let's dig in.  This letter, which radiates with reasons to be thankful, joyful and contented, was written by Paul from a Roman prison. He thanks the Philippians for their generous gift of covering his living expenses while he awaits trial.  Instead of writing about his painful and desperate situation, he focuses on Jesus.

I've started into a project of changing the paint color and chair upholstery in our dining room.  Monday, I slapped a "BIG" sample color on the wall and now I am not sure I like it. I've also realized it will be necessary to empty 3 cupboards full of china, crystal and knick knacks in order to move them so I can get to the walls/   The fabric I want to put on the chairs costs more than I thought it would. The whole project seems like more than I can complete by the holidays, but my walls are marred with paint samples right now.

Our spiritual lives are a project.  Some days we forge ahead, led by the Holy Spirit and can feel the Lord right there with us.  Other days we feel like we are drifting away and we holler to shore begging to to be pulled back in.


The good thing is God keeps his promises.  What He starts, he completes.  Paul encourages the Philippians in verse 1:6
...being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you 
will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
Then he shares what is one of my favorite prayers in the whole Bible.  Pick out someone to pray this for today.

Lord, for each person reading this devotional today, I pray that their love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that they may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ-to glory and praise of God. In Jesus' Name, Amen  (From Philippians 1:9-11)

The WOF Bible has a list of what a life lived out along the lines of this prayer looks like.  It reminds us:
"We can gain none of these things on our own.  Only as we pray passionately and seek the power that only God can offer, as he fills us with himself, will we inherit these attributes through Jesus Christ.  Our lives will bring glory and praise to God!"

Keep praying for:
A heart full of love.
A mind filled with God's knowledge and deep insight.
A spirit so discerning that it leads to purity and blamelessness.
A life overflowing with the fruit of righteousness.

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?