Influencers


Throw way back...our oldest grandson, now 11 years old imitating his Papa.

Influence-"the capacity to have an effect on the character, development, or behavior of
someone or something, or the effect itself."


Who are some of the influencers of your life?

There is a woman who was my neighbor two doors up from the only childhood home I had. This lovely lady always has time for others! Now a 96 year old widow, she is blessed to have three fabulous sons who adore her and live close by. Looking back, I can see how much she enjoyed the neighborhood girls and made a point to invite us over one at a time for tea and little chats. Her faith is enormous and she pours the Word of God into her heart every day.  Her home is the most eclectic home I've ever been in, yet it is a place of welcoming that oozes peace.  I know it has truly been a safe haven for many. I am thankful for the influence she has had on my life. She exemplifies  Titus 2:3-5.

"Likewise, older women are to show their reverence for God by their behavior. They are not to be gossips or addicted to alcohol, but to be examples of goodness. They should encourage the younger women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible and pure, to manage their households, to be kind, and to submit themselves to their husbands. Otherwise, the word of God may be discredited."

Two middle school teachers and two college professors invested in my life personally beyond anything I could have ever imagined. They have all passed away and I don't think I ever thanked them enough.  All four welcomed me into their homes.  One even took me with her to Europe! Interestingly, not one of them shared their faith with me, nor I mine with then, so I wonder where they are. 

"Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6 

By the time I was eleven, my three older siblings were gone and I remained home with an alcoholic mother.  I think all the people mentioned above knew the circumstances I lived in and made a conscious decision to invest in my life and they were a very positive influence.

When I think of people who sought out influence and wisdom I think of the Queen of Sheba and how she wanted to hang out with King Solomon and learn from him.    1 Kings 10:1-2

"Now when the queen of Sheba heard about the fame of Solomon concerning the name of the Lord, she came to test him with difficult questions. So she came to Jerusalem with a very large retinue, with camels carrying spices and very much gold and precious stones. When she came to Solomon, she spoke with him about all that was in her heart."

Who or what might you say is having the greatest influence on you right now?
What is the criterion you look for in influencers?

Paul told believers..."And you should imitate me, just as I imitate Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1

"My son, observe the commandment of your father
And do not forsake the teaching of your mother;
Bind them continually on your heart; Tie them around your neck. 
When you walk about, they will guide you; When you sleep, they will watch over you;
And when you awake, they will talk to you.
"                                           Proverbs 6:20-24  

We are in a time of massive influence from media sources of all kinds.  We need discernment.

I pray want to pray Philippians 4:8-9 for us and for the generations to come.
Lord,  whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, show us these things. May the things we have learned from Your Word and seen in godly forefathers, be put into practice in our lives so that we know that You, the God of all peace, is with us. Give us hearts that desire godly influence. In Jesus' name, Amen.


Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?