Sufficient Grace

Love this little one donning his shades on a sunny day.
I look forward to the day all these grands and their parents can once again gather at Shiloh.





It is thought that Jesus' half-brother James wrote the book in the Bible by that title.
What is known is for certain is that it is difficult to read this book without coming under conviction in some form.
James points out that we will encounter trials that may test our faith. He reminds us to be doers of the Word, not just listeners and that faith without works is dead.  He points out that there is a sin trap we fall in by showing partiality and that it will take more than luck and a conscience effort to tame our tongues.  If we want to receive a harvest of righteousness then we need to sow peace and finally in chapter 4 there is a very clear warning to watch out for worldliness.  
Bible Study Fellowship had a whole lesson on James 4. I've recorded some highlights from that lesson for a self check up today.  Let's get real.

Overcoming Trouble
“What causes fights and quarrels among you” Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you?  Troubles among Christians point out our lingering sinful natures. We need to humbly examine ourselves. We, not other people, are most often the problem or a key part in preventing resolution.”

Discontentment
“Discontentment tempts those not given what they decided they want.  Discontentment claims God owes us or does not know what is best. Unchecked, it leads to taking what is forbidden or not offered to us as our own.  Grumbling and complaining speech signal the presence of this sin.”

Anger
“John calls out hatred as murder occurring in the heart. Prejudices, gossip, grudges and threats of retaliation stoke anger’s flames.  Hateful and angry words can, in fact, lead to physical violence, suicides and murders, causing disasters across families and communities."

I'm pretty sure I raise my eyebrows, scrunch my nose and skew my lips to the side of my mouth with a "Hmmmm?" each time I read through this.  Ah, the facial expressions of conviction.  Thankful for today's promise of the sufficient grace of God which covers all our sins.

Today's Coloring Page from The Promises of God
"But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient of you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore most gladly I will boast in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."  2 Corinthians 12:9



Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?