To Be...Engaging


These friends went beyond the call of duty as friends and
brought Thanksgiving dinner to our house and engaged with us and three of our grands.

November 27
When on an elevator do you look stoically ahead or engage the other passengers in conversation?

Recently, my husband and I needed to go to a nearby city to make a hospital visit. It had been a jam packed day and there were more things to be accomplished.  After leaving the patient's room we entered the elevator with another gentleman.  Our conversation went like this.

I said to my husband, "We have visited this hospital so many times."  His reply, "Most of them sad."  Then I said, "Well, we did give birth here five times! Those are happy memories."  As I glanced at the gentleman standing beside me I realized he had a grin on his face.  I said, "You noticed I was gracious and said 'We'."  He laughed, "Very."  As the elevator doors opened he added, "Although, it can be difficult to watch someone else in pain."

It was a show stopper.  All of us had been visiting a PCU cardiac until with very sick individuals. It was also a missed opportunity.  Before I could be led by the Spirit and engage him in a conversation and possibly pray for his situation, he walked out of the hospital and we stood waiting for the parking garage elevators.  I wish I could go back to that moment.

Waiting for the parking garage elevator door to open,  I looked at my husband and said, "Do you have a clue what level we parked on?"  He replied, "Not a clue!"  Well, that got the three other people waiting engaged.
One reminisced of a Seinfeld episode with the same scenario.  Fortunately, the three people were going to floors, 2,3, and 4, so we could jump off quickly without delaying the others and survey the surroundings. We found Level 3 to hold great probability and found our car there.

Paul knew how to engage people with the purpose of presenting the Gospel.

"So, here's what I've concluded. I will pray in the Spirit, but I will also pray with my mind engaged.  I will sing rapturous praises in the Spirit, but I will also sing with my mind engaged."  
1 Corinthians 14:15

"Now, it's because of God's mercy that we have been entrusted with the privilege of this new covenant ministry.  And we will not quit or faint with weariness. We reject every shameful cover-up and refuse to resort to cunning trickery or distorting the Word of God.  Instead, we open up our souls to you by presenting the truth to everyone's conscience in the sight and presence of God.  Even if our gospel message is veiled, it is only veiled to those who are perishing... 2 Corinthians 4

Thankful Thought
Thank you God for all the people who have engaged me by sharing their faith and have encouraged me to be bold in engaging others!

Popular posts from this blog

She Fought the Good Fight

Marriage Matters #1

Are You Sinking... Being Tossed About?